Sunday 20 October 2013

13 Arts October Challenge


Hey guys :)

Hope everyone had an awesome weekend!! Highlight of mine was an awesome scrappy session with my bestie on Saturday. I decided to do something a little different for me and do an art journal page. This is for the October challenge at 13Arts :)




And this is the challenge prompt to draw inspiration from...


You can check out the challenge here

Ok so I have decided to add to this post to tell you what this page is about as it is fairly cryptic is it not? I guess in short it could be called social commentary? Move on if you don't care lol.

The woman in the picture is musical artist Tori Amos and the words are lyrics from a song called Precious Things. When I first heard Tori's music, I was in my early 20's. All the radio stations were playing bands like Bon Jovi & Poison, Madonna and Pat Benatar. And here was this wild eccentric red head who's album cover showed her breast feeding a pig. Her songs would take you on a journey and the lyrics were raw and powerful and she created songs that no one else dared at the time. About violent relationships, rape, balance of power in relationships, miscarriages, sexuality. But it was all incredibly cryptic and more like prose. It was raw but not in your face like Madonna or other artists that started to push those boundaries at that time. And she had the talent to back it up with an incredible classically trained voice and piano skills that I still have not heard matched.

Fast forward to the late nineties and she fades. Her music is no longer melodic, the lyrics have no meaning ( at least to me). The once feminist who openly slammed women such as Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie as role models for women was doing live shows at fashion events while wafer thin models strutted the cat walk and later transformed herself via plastic surgery to looking a few cuts away from looking like Sylvester Stallone's mum.

So this page expresses all those feelings for me, loss of someone who succumed to all the things she once hated. The mask I guess represents that hypocrisy.

All rather deep I guess haha.



Thanks for stopping by :)
G xox

8 comments:

  1. This it simply stunning! So different and unique - and I just love it! Thank You for playing with 13 arts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic take on our challenge at 13 arts, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! WOW! WOW! you are SERIOUSLY TALENTED girl.... I'm glad you shared with us more about the meaning behind this AMAZING creation!! Have a GREAT week G... x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow it is deep but very creative..lots of layers lots of passion.. amazing arty page...

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! This is an amazing project! I love it! Thank you for playing along with 13 arts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fabulous project! Thanks for joining along with 13 arts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning page! Thank you for playing along with 13 arts.

    ReplyDelete